Friday 29 June 2012

'Korrigan' in Stylecraft Special 4-ply

For a while now I have been amassing a small collection of yarn which might possibly-one-day-be-useful-for-something-but-unsure-what... it has amassed quite well.

I had a big sort out last week and decided that of the potential options in front of me I would match up one ball of Stylecraft Special 4-ply (100g) to knit up 'Korrigan' by Solenn Couix-Loarer.  The pattern is really great!  The cardigan feature a yoke-neck with disappearing cables, three buttons to close at the top, giving a slight flare (over nappy-bums) to an otherwise simple stocking stitch body.  Big thumbs up for yoke-neck and top-down design.  Korrigan may be tricky for new knitters as the instructions assume a certain level of understanding, as well as ability to work cables etc. 

I knitted this with the instructions for size 6mths and it used about 70g of yarn.  As this is a cheap acrylic yarn, it is a very economical, but pretty, option.  The yarn is one of the better acrylic options that I have come across, with a very soft, malleable texture.  Nice to knit a baby item in something that is so definitely machine-washable too.  The main limitation of this yarn are the colours (in my view); despite a range of 16 shades, I would probably only use 'Lipstick'.  The tension more-or-less works to 28 stitches and 36 rows (= 4inches) when worked on 3.25mm needles.  However, I think my final cardigan is still a little small for a 6 month old.  Without doubt it would be a pleasure to knit the same pattern in something more luxurious, like the recommended Rowan pure wool 4-ply, but using stylecraft special 4-ply has still produced an adorable, utilisable cardigan in a very nice modern shade! 

Good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment