Monday 6 August 2012

A Knitter's Guide to Hamburg (Part 1)

I recently went on a five-day trip to Hamburg, and spent the time in an entirely self-indulgent intinary based on my hobbies!!  These are a few notes about my time seeking out knitters, yarn, tea and cake! 

I was very lucky to get a very helpful response on ravelry from the knitting circle of Hamburg, Hanseatic Knitters, and their first recommendation was the knitting shop and cafe, Mylys.  Mylys is easy to get to - I was staying close to the Hauptbahnhof and took the U-Bahn (U2) to 'Christuskirche' - Mylys is just a few minutes walk from there on Wiedenallee.  This is what it looks like from outside:

Mylys has a very nice yarn shop (on the right in the picture above), and a great little cafe too (on the left).  When I went in the person I spoke to was happy to chat to me in english and had previously worked in loopknitting in London too - with this and the international discussions spinning out from ravelry, it was very easy to spend some time in here - barely knew I was in another country!  The yarn is a nice up-market collection (check out the website) with the requisite white Ikea shelving to show it off ;)

 
The woman who was serving (I never asked her name/ not sure if she is the owner?!) was really helpful and offered to let me use the shop's computer to look at my queue on ravelry to see what projects their yarn would match to.  Unpressured, friendly approach.  I chose Louet Gems (Steel Grey) 4-ply and BC Garn Semilla (Deep pink, 109) as my purchases :)



I then spent several hours in the cafe!!  I'm sure that would be possible anyway given the choice of lunches, cakes, teas etc but I also had the opportunity to spend it with the Hanseatic Knitters!  Such a great bunch, had a really nice afternoon with these guys.  They were also very kind and spoke a lot of English with me.  I really felt welcomed by this shop and these lovely knitters - so great to tap into the community when travelling - totally peaceful and inspiring :)  Vielen Dank!!



No comments:

Post a Comment