Sunday 20 February 2011

Drops Design Baby Cardigan





Cute little baby cardi! This is another free pattern from Drops Design. It looks absolutely tiny so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it actually fits my friend's baby, due at the end of March.



I needed to make some alterations to the pattern. I had to change my needles up to 2.75 to get the correct gauge - I wonder now whether I should have gone up another size as it really does look small!



I casted on with the increased number of stitches, as I was worried about it gathering along the bottom by increasing after the band has been knitted. As the cardigan is A-line this seems reasonable and make it a bit easier too.



There is an error when it comes to casting off for the armholes - on size 1-3 mths, where it reads knit 64 it should be 39!



Had quite a bit of trouble sorting out the cables for the sleeves, if I followed the instructions then I would have two cables directly next to each other. Instead I cabled, purl 4, cable, purl 10, cable, purl 10, cable, purl 4. This seemed to be broadly ok although I then had some difficulty when it came to the yoke as I had one side of the sleeve with 12 purls and one side with 8 - instead of the standard 10 all the way around. I fudged this by dec. 2 on alternative decreases and it doesn't particularly show up. Would probably need to sit down and do some maths to correct this properly...



I couldn't really see the value in creating lace holes around the neck, so I skipped this. I also worried about the neck becoming too gathered so I didn't worry about the last set of decreasing either.



Hope that helps any future knitters of this pattern! Will post again when the baby is born and I can say how the sizing worked out!


UPDATE: News from the mum - it fits great as a newborn but not much room for growth...

No comments:

Post a Comment