Tuesday 17 August 2010

Yarn Review: Drops Alpaca

Since my love affair began with alpaca yarn I was on the look-out for some which was a little more cost-friendly... I think this is very good. It's £3.00 for 50grams, available in the UK from the Scandinavian Knitting Company. I have been knitting with shade 3620. Admittedly it is not quite as silky as the yarn from WhyNotAlpacas (see earlier blog post) but that yarn cost £12 for 50g. This seems to be very good quality and I am planning on using in several designs and products in the future. The only difficulty I had is that when I tried to knit on circular needles my tension is that bit looser and I could not acheive nice, even stitches with this yarn. However, when I switched to straight needles (3mm in this case) it worked just fine and knits to a standard 4-ply tension. I am knitting a child's sweater in size 5-6 from the Drops Design website. I am about to start the second sleeve so will have the finished item on here in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment