Friday 6 August 2010

Book Review: Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs



Do you know what? I really liked this book. It's in the camp of 'chick lit' which as an English Literature graduate I really shouldn't, and usually don't, like - however, it's just really engrossing! It's a great blend of the female perspective on relationships, family and friends, with interesting and knowledgable comments about knitting. It is, I'm sure, a wide fantasy amongst knitters to have a knitting store in New York - and to be that woman who can hold together single parenthood, businesswoman, great friends and mentor - and despite her apparently unruly hair, also attractive... Which is probably the toughest thing about this book because Kate Jacobs does throw a spanner into the works of this fantasy world... now is that a good thing or not? I still have not quite decided whether I respect the attempt at putting in a (bit) of a three-dimensional perspective, or whether I was just upset that the fantasy could not be complete.

Maybe it's not a literary great, but actually it's reasonably well-written, and certainly well enough to not be grating. Ultimately the story holds it together and I cared about these women's lives, I enjoyed the tale... and I would read a Kate Jacobs book again.

No comments:

Post a Comment